With the cold weather seemingly entrenched for the time being, a delicious hot drink goes down very nicely indeed. Unsurprisingly, here at The Chocolate Hedgehog, we feel that nothing warms the bones like a steaming mug of rich hot chocolate, so we’ve shared a few of our favourite recipes below. This sort of chocolate making is real fun and quick to do, so please give it a go with family and friends!
Italian hot chocolate, known as Ciccolata Calda, differs greatly from the drink most of us know. It is rich, thick and ludicrously decadent with an almost pudding like consistency and a sumptuous chocolate flavour.
- 120g of finely chopped good quality chocolate (70%+ cocoa solids is ideal).
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 375ml cups of whole milk
- In a small saucepan, combine 3 tablespoons of milk with the corn starch and whisk until it reaches a smooth and silky consistency – ensure there are no lumps.
- Pour the remaining milk in into another saucepan and place it over medium heat until simmering. As soon as it begins to bubble whisk in the sugar.
- Add the corn starch mixture, stirring continuously, until it begins to thicken.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and quickly whisk in the chocolate until smooth.
- Pour into your favourite mug and enjoy!
BAILEYS HOT CHOCOLATE
If you want to add a little kick to your hot chocolate, then try our Baileys Hot Chocolate recipe. This naughty but delicious treat is guaranteed to warm you from head to toe and make you smile with every sip you take. Making chocolate drinks like this is something to do for special occasions.
- 250ml of milk
- 50ml of Baileys Original Irish Cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 sprinkle flaked chocolate
- A generous dollop of fresh whipped cream
- Mix together the water, sugar the cocoa powder in a small saucepan over a low heat stirring consistently for approximately 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, continuing to stir.
- Pour the measure of Baileys in to a large mug then add the Chocolate mixture on top.
- Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of chocolate shavings.
- Indulge yourself!
NUTELLA HOT CHOCOLATE
After a long and tiring day, sitting down at home with a steaming mug of Nutella hot chocolate in one hand and a biscuit in the other is an unbeatable experience.
- 375ml of milk
- 2 tablespoons of Nutella
- Half teaspoon of cinnamon
- Dash of sea salt
- Dollop of whipped cream
- Heat the milk in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir in the Nutella, salt and cinnamon until you have a smooth liquid.
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs and top with whipped cream.
If you want to further treat yourself, go all American and sprinkle a few mini marshmallows on top!
If you’ve enjoyed making these drinks then you’ll probably love our chocolate making kits, so do be sure to have a look at them.